Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On the weekend


Saturday after pole, I met my friend David at Dome for coffee and sandwiches.  I'm always starving after a workout and a big, hot meal is the most appealing thing ever.

This Saturday was very nostalgic - when I was a kid, I used to come to the Dome at the Art Museum with my parents and brothers.  It was an expensive meal for us, a special treat.  We always got foccacia sandwiches and I always went for the mushroom and cheese one, a hot, crispy semi-circle of oozing cheese and tender, savoury mushrooms.  The sandwich would come with a huge pile of shaved carrot on the side and I picked it up and added it to the sandwich for some crunch.

They're still serving the same sandwich, even though it's about $8 more expensive!  At least it still tastes the same.


Also nostalgic, the Zo cards we used to take piles of until they became covered with ugly advertisements.  I still have files of postcards that people wrote me back in school.


David practised the look of disdain that my brother HW and I used to give each other.  A pressed nose indicates disgust, a pressed nose with tongue, ultimate distaste.  Think about it.  There are just no words as eloquent.


Afterwards, we took a walk through Bugis Plus and I stopped by the Craftholic shop to look at the plush rabbit and bear pillows.  The funny, morose little creatures moved me and I poked David and asked him if I should buy one.  While he dithered, I spotted a grey and white striped bear that seemed to recede among the rainbow fabrics. 

"Hey what about that one?" I asked.

"That bear looks so sad!"  David protested.  "He looks like he's going through the holocaust!"

"What?!"  I was shocked.  "Well, if he's going through the holocaust, then I have to save him!"

And so I did.  Meet Moshe Shlomo Finkelstein.  He's huge!

Toldja!

EDIT, March 29th: David wanted to me to add that when we were in Craftholic, he expressed his disdain by flattening his nose with his third finger and I violently told him off for his rudeness.  Don't mess with a teacher!

4 comments:

  1. did you position the monkey's hand to be on the stripey bear's crotch on purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found my way over here from Genetically Challenged Athlete...

    And this is a totally random way of introduction, but my husband and I just went to a Dome for the first time last weekend. I was debating between a turkey club and THE VERY SANDWICH YOU JUST DESCRIBED. I opted for the club (more protein) but am now very much wishing I had chosen the cheesey mushroomy goodness. And whatever coffee/ice cream concoction is in your glass. Guess I'll just have to go back! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Holly, thanks for stopping by! ZOMG hahaha it is a really good sandwich, but I'm not sure just how healthy it is... let me know if you like it! And the thing in the glass is an Iced coffee with gelato. TASTY!

      Delete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...